Skip to Navigation

Icon of the Mother of God of Novgorod


Commemorated on December 20

The Novgorod Icon of the Mother of God was written by St. Peter, Metropolitan of Moscow, while he was abbott of a monastery on the Rata River. During a time of persecution, the Uniates plundered the Novgorod monastery, and the icon was transferred by the Hieromonk James to the Eletsk Chernigov monastery. Bishop Anthony (Stakovsky) of Chernigov later blessed Simeon, the organizer of the Surozh monastery, with this icon. On August 14, 1677, during a church procession from the old church to a new one, the icon manifested miraculous signs.

By permission of the Orthodox Church in America (