Skip to Navigation

Icon of the Mother of God "Myrrh-Bearing"

Commemorated on May 1

The “Myrrh-Bearing” Icon of the Mother of God appeared to the peasant Andrew Ivanov on May 1, 1647 near Bolshaya Kuznetsa, fifteen miles from the city of Tsarevokokshaisk in the Kazan region. Working in the field, he noticed an icon lying on the ground and wanted to pick it up, but it suddenly became invisible. Looking around, the astonished peasant noticed the icon in a tree, supported by an unseen force. He prayed and took the icon home, where it was glorified by miracles.

Pilgrims thronged to the icon from all the surrounding villages. They carried the image to the city of Tsarevokokshaisk, and later to Moscow, and after a while, they returned home with it. A monastery was built at the place of its appearance. It is called “Myrrh-Bearing” because the Mother of God is depicted with the Myrrh-Bearing Women.

By permission of the Orthodox Church in America (