Skip to Navigation

Icon of the Mother of God of Chelnsk and Pskov Caves

Commemorated on May 14

In the city of Yaroslavl, the townswoman Alexandra Dobychkina suffered for seventeen years from emotional and bodily illness. In 1823, she saw in a dream a church with an icon of the Mother of God. She decided to seek out the Yaroslavl temple and icon she had seen in the vision.

This church turned out to be the temple in honor of the Procession of the Venerable Wood of the Cross of the Lord (August 1), under the belltower of the archbishop's residence. Entering the church, the afflicted Alexandra saw on the wall the depiction of the Kiev Caves Mother of God. Suddenly she had a powerful attack of fever, after which there was some relief at first, and later a full healing from the grievous illness.

From that time, miraculous healings took place when people prayed to the Most Holy Theotokos.

By permission of the Orthodox Church in America (