Skip to Navigation

The Permit Story

Dear Friends of Saint George Taybeh,

I pray and hope you are well.

For those interested to share updates with their older students in Sunday School, I am sending a link to my latest interview on Ancient Faith Radio:

Today, I am happy my husband received a travel permit to come to Boston, while there are many denied permits daily and the policies that violate human dignity continue.

We will show an expression of our personal non violent action with the film "Palestine, Beer and Oktoberfest Under Occupation." Monday, Feb 3rd, 7:00 pm, Reading Room, Hellenic College/Holy Cross, 50 Goddard Ave, Brookline, MA

Forgive me to share a message from Samia Khoury, a friend in Jerusalem:

Dear Friends: We were at a memorial service in Bethlehem yesterday for Khadder Tarazi, the nephew of my sister's husband. His death at the age of 46 was a shock not only to his family, his mother, wife, three children and five sisters, but to the Gaza community and the large circle of family and friends in Bethlehem and Ramallah and the Gulf area. People die every day for some reason or another, and after forty six years under a military occupation we hear sad stories daily about killings and sick people dying in jail or at checkpoints. But what touched me yesterday was the sad but dignified expression of the parents of Khader's wife. As soon as they heard the news they came rushing across the bridge from Jordan to be with their daughter and her children. But even in the midst of our grief Israel fails to show some humanity. The father was allowed to go to Gaza for the funeral whereas the mother was not granted a permit. Why? And what is the justification for such brutality? There weren't enough words to console them yesterday as they stood to shake hands with all those people who came to pay their respects and offer their condolences. People in sorrow deserve an expression of humanity. But I suppose that is too much to ask from a military who has kept the whole Gaza Strip under siege for the last seven years.

Ironically the case of Khadder left two renowned Israeli hospitals in a puzzle. When he got sick, presumably from some virus, he was rushed to Shaare Zedek in Jerusalem where his kidneys started to fail and despite the dialysis his condition kept deteriorating very fast that the hospital decided to transfer him to Hadassah hospital where all his system eventually shut down and he passed away. Here were doctors, Israelis as well as Palestinians, trying to save this young man's life, while the military could not even show a sign of humanity by granting a woman the privilege of being with her daughter and grandchildren at a time of grief. Samia